To minimize the chances of a fire occurring, please follow these rules:
- Observe the no smoking policy in the building.
- Protect electrical wires from abuse and report damage at once.
- Do not use water-heating immersion units or space heaters.
- If an electrical device emits smoke, unplug it and call 911 and then notify the Security Office 801-932-6111.
- Report any potential fire hazard to the Security Office at 801-932-6111.
Fire Safety Devices
Fire alarm pull stations and fire extinguishers are located at emergency exit stairwells on each floor. Pull stations are also located at building lobby exits.
Suite Evacuation Officer
For employee safety and to assist the Management Office during actual fires and fire drills, each tenant should appoint employees as Suite Evacuation Officers. Larger tenants should appoint more than one Evacuation Officer for each floor, who will do the following:
- Direct a quick, orderly and complete evacuation of the building and report its completion to the Management Office at 801-932-6120.
- Check all areas (including restroom, storage area, etc.) to make sure no one has remained behind. In the event someone remains, report the location to the Management Office and the Fire Department.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of handicapped employees (with description of special requirements) and provide a copy to the Management Office. Assign two (2) persons to assist each handicapped individual during an evacuation. In case of difficulty exiting, one should stay with the handicapped person at the emergency exit stairwell door while the other reports the location to security personnel in the lobby.
- Each company should incorporate these guidelines into their own emergency practices.
Fire drills are required by law and should be conducted as if there were an actual fire, with the exception that handicapped people may stay at the emergency exit stairwell door rather than leaving the building. A drill may involve the whole building or selected floors. Tenants will receive written notice of dates and times of scheduled drills. Unannounced drills will also occur from time to time.
Anyone detecting fire or smoke should:
- Activate the nearest fire alarm pull box located next to the emergency exit stairwells on each floor. Call 911 and the Security Office at 801-932-6111, giving as much detail as possible about the location and severity of the fire and whether there are injuries.
- Alert the Floor Wardens. (See details in previous section.)
- Leave the building.
- Tenants should gather a pre-determined location to account for all individuals.
When the alarm sounds, all occupants should:
- Go to the nearest emergency exit stairwell. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Feel the stairwell door. If hot to the touch, DO NOT OPEN.
- Stay low to the floor and open the stairwell door slightly. If there is smoke in the stairwell, CLOSE THE DOOR.
- If heat or smoke is not detected, use the stairwell to exit the building, holding the handrail.
- If no stairwell is free of heat and smoke, call 911 and tell them your precise location and then the Security Office at 801-932-6111.
- Once outside the building, stand in a designated "staging areas," clear of building entrances, driveways and roads so the Fire Department will not be hampered or delayed.
- Do not re-enter the building until the Fire Department gives the "all clear."